It is important to inspect your garage doors regularly to ensure proper functioning. It is an often overlooked feature of
one’s home, but proper working condition is needed to ensure safety and performance of this important item.
Things to Look Out For
The things to be aware of are the same for belt, chain, and screw-drive systems.
• Check for debris in the tracks. Just wiping them out can relieve possible catches with rollers.
• Use engine oil to lubricate rollers when needed. Try not to use any lubricant that will gum up the system, as this will reduce future usability.
• Use a little oil on bearings, springs, and door hinges to minimize resistance.
• Make sure all cables and springs are connected soundly, and there is no fraying in the cable lines.
• Lightly grease the chain on a chain drive system.
• Test the optical sensors regu- larly to be certain they will detect any possible obstructions. This is an important safety feature and one that should not be overlooked.
• Tighten any loose screws on the door to make certain it is structurally sound.